“A fisherman does not bait his hook with food he likes. He uses food the fish likes. So with boys.” Robert Baden Powell, founder of Boy Scouts
Dog Care Merit Badge Begins!
Troop 22 members began the Dog Care merit badge on Tuesday evening. Work towards this badge will take place over 4 weeks. In session 1, the boys learned about the evolution of the dog, early dogs, and how dogs were domesticated. We then studied various dog breeds and characteristics.
Dogs are grouped into 7 distinct groups as recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) as follows:
- SPORTING DOGS (American Water Spaniel; Cocker Spaniel, English Setter, etc.)
- HOUNDS (Afghan Hound, Basset Hound, Bloodhound, etc.)
- WORKING DOGS (Alaskan Malamute, Boxer, Great Dane, etc.)
- TERRIERS (Airedale, Bull Terrier, Scottish Terrier, etc.)
- NONSPORTING DOGS (Boston Terrier, Bulldog, Dalmatian, etc.)
- TOYS (Chihuahua, Italian Greyhound, Toy Poodle, etc.)
- HERDING DOGS (Bearded Collie, Belgian Sheepdog, German Shepherd, etc.)
We discussed the differing physical characteristics of these dogs and many more, along with their specific abilities/capabilities based on breeding. The boys were reminded the important role dogs play in our society. They perform many duties, such as in law enforcement, search and rescue, military service, assisting people with disabilities, and more commonly, as friendly companions.
Session 2 next week will feature several dog lovers who will bring their dogs to the meeting in support of Troop 22, and to provide a fun learning experience for the Scouts.
IN OTHER NEWS: Scouts Cody Hubbard, Alfonso Garcia-Garza, and Guillermo Hellmund (pictured) are set to begin their respective Eagle Scout Leadership Service Projects very soon. These boys are among several we expect to attain the coveted rank of Eagle Scout this school year.
Troop 22 actively seeks donations or other assistance to maintain a quality program. Please contact the Scoutmaster, SgtMajor Jim Poe, at 956-423-6006×270 if you have questions about the Boy Scout program or seek to lend your support.
This article also appears with photos on the MMA Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/MarineMilitaryAcademy